| | | | | |
Sell my Land! Sell my Ranch!

Ranch Brokers Selling Texas Land & Ranches

Sell your Texas Land! Sell your Texas Ranch!When you’re ready to sell your Texas land, farm or ranch it’s important to know if the agent or broker you’re considering is up to the job of listing your property. It could be a miserable experience and a huge loss of time if your land or ranch listing ends up in the wrong hands. Hopefully this post will help Texas land sellers with what questions to ask, credentials to look for in a land professional and to learn how their agent or broker markets a property. We also offer some general advice on who’s best qualified (in our opinion) to sell a Texas land or ranch property.

Working with someone who specializes in Texas land, farm  and ranch properties is a must. Some of these land professionals may call themself a Land Realtor, Ranch Realtor, Land Specialist, Land Broker, Ranch Broker or Land Agent and so on. All of these land pro titles pretty much mean the same thing as far as an agent or broker who may specialize in land and ranch sales.

Texas Land Realtor vs Texas Ranch Realtor

Is there a difference between a Texas Land Realtor or a Texas Ranch Realtor? No, there is no difference other than some folks prefer the term “land” and others prefer the term “ranch”. If a Texas Realtor specializes in land or ranches as Broker/Realtor, Don Honeycutt does, they may elect to call them self a “land” or “ranch” Realtor. To be a Texas Realtor you must be a member in good standing with the National Association of Realtors and with Texas Realtors.

Don Honeycutt is a member of the National Association of Realtors and Texas Realtors. These two memberships, along with the required training and adhering to a strong code of ethics, is what makes Don a Texas Realtor. As a Texas Realtor,  Don can post his land and ranch listings on any MLS that he is a member of. Don is currently a member of three MLS’s: Austin Board of Realtors, Highland Lakes Association of Realtors and Central Texas MLS. If you are not a Realtor, you can not post listings on MLS. Click here to read more about Texas Realtors.

Whats the difference between “Land” and “Ranch”?

What’s the difference between the terms “land” and “ranch”? In most cases there is no difference. Some clients use “land” and some use “ranch”. So being in the land & ranch sales business we try to use all the terms our clients use, especially in marketing. Of course, most Texas folks think a property that’s 1000’s of acres would be called a ranch and they would be correct. A 50 acre tract of land can also be a ranch, which most people wouldn’t think that. If we used only the term “ranch” then some clients buying or selling 50 acre tracts of land may not think we service those types of properties. So using the terms “land” and “ranch” is nothing more than covering our bases in marketing on all the search terms used by potential clients.

Taking it another step further, a property that is not ag exempt may not be considered a ranch by some. I don’t find this to be true because you don’t need an exemption to farm or ranch a property. The exemption is nothing more than a credit on your property taxes and has nothing to do with how you personally use the property.

Be Cautious with a Low Tech Agent or Broker

When selling your land, farm or ranch, does the broker or agent you’re considering have a website or do they use other broker’s websites to look up properties? If they do have a website, is it comprehensive and does it draw adequate land buyer traffic? How does their website rank with popular search keywords? Will they do your property justice with their marketing? If your broker candidate states they don’t fool with MLS, PPC, SEO, Social Media, CRM, Paid Sites, Email Campaigns,  Custom Blogs or they don’t have a comprehensive land website like the one you’re reading this blog post on, is this where you want your listing to be? The items mentioned above are the digital marketing tools of today and digital marketing is where it’s at and it’s whats needed to get your listing in front of todays potential land buyers.

Sell my Land! Sell my Ranch!

Accredited Land Consultant (ALC) Designation

Don received his Accredited Land Consultant (ALC) designation in September 2018. Don considers it getting his PhD in land! If you connect with an ALC to sell your land or ranch, you can’t hardly go wrong knowing you’re getting someone who is one of the most qualified land professionals around. Not only are ALC’s REALTORS®, ALC’s have also put them self through the wringer with additional land specific training to get this very distinguished, hard earned land designation.

“Accredited Land Consultants (ALCs) are not just land sales professionals, they are the most prestigious, the most experienced, and the highest performing land sales experts in their area. Achieving the ALC designation is not an easy feat. It requires successful completion of a rigorous education program and a proven track record of transaction performance. It also requires a commitment to professional growth. Being an ALC allows one to take advantage of the camaraderie of other ALCs and join the elite ranks of those who have earned the designation.” (from the RLI site)

Don Honeycutt is a Former Director with the Texas Chapter of the Realtors Land Institute.

Most land and ranch sellers understand that going with a Broker who specializes in anything other than land and ranch properties is probably not the best route to take to sell their property. With Don, you not only get a Texas ranch owner, a Texas Land & Ranch Realtor , a Texas Land & Ranch Broker, and an Accredited Land Consultant, you also have a land professional who is also a Former Director for the Texas Chapter of the industry’s leading land real estate organization, the Realtors Land Institute. Don spends his spare time and money advocating, networking and participating in the Texas and National Land Markets. Don has devoted his life and career to Texas Land and Ranches and he networks regularly with other Texas top level land professionals which is who he also discusses your listings with.

Texas Chapter Realtors Land Institute

A great moment in Don’s career was being appointed as a Director for the Texas Chapter of Realtor Land Institute (RLI). The REALTORS® Land Institute, “The Voice of Land,” continually strives to maintain its status as the acknowledged leader for all matters pertaining to the land real estate profession.

How To Become a Texas Real Estate Broker

To be a Texas Real Estate Broker you must first become a Texas Real Estate Sales Agent. Becoming a broker is no joke, read below if you care to see what it takes:


  • Citizen of the United States or lawfully admitted alien
  • 18 years of age or older
  • Resident of Texas, unless you:
    • were licensed in Texas as a sales agent or broker in the last two years; or
    • are licensed as a broker in another state
  • Meet TREC’s qualifications for honesty, trustworthiness, and integrity
    • Consider requesting a Moral Character Determination before applying for the license

Requirements for Becoming an Agent have to be Completed First

Complete Your Qualifying AGENT Education

180 classroom hours of the following qualifying real estate courses

  • Principles of Real Estate I (30 classroom hours)
  • Principles of Real Estate II (30 classroom hours)
  • Law of Agency (30 classroom hours)
  • Law of Contracts (30 classroom hours)
  • Promulgated Contract Forms (30 classroom hours)
  • Real Estate Finance (30 classroom hours)

Becoming a Real Estate Broker

Complete Your Qualifying BROKER Education

270 classroom hours of qualifying real estate courses, including the following mandatory courses:

  • Principles of Real Estate I (30 classroom hours)
  • Principles of Real Estate II (30 classroom hours)
  • Law of Agency (30 classroom hours)
  • Law of Contracts (30 classroom hours)
  • Promulgated Contract Forms (30 classroom hours)
  • Real Estate Finance (30 classroom hours)
  • Real Estate Brokerage (30 classroom hours)

The Real Estate Brokerage course must be completed not more than two years before the application date.

An additional 630 classroom hours in related qualifying courses acceptable to the Commission or approved Continuing Education (CE) courses is also required.

TREC approved related qualifying courses include:

  • Real Estate Appraisal
  • Real Estate Law
  • Real Estate Marketing
  • Real Estate Math
  • Property Management
  • Real Estate Investments
  • Residential Inspections for Real Estate Agents

Following is a list of course topics acceptable for related qualifying course credit if completed for academic credit through a college or university.

  • Accounting
  • Advertising
  • Architecture
  • Business or Management
  • Construction
  • Finance
  • Investments
  • Law
  • Marketing
  • Real Estate

A bachelor’s degree or higher from an accredited college or university satisfies all of the related education requirements for a broker license. A copy of the college transcript awarding the degree must be submitted as evidence of completion of the degree.

Education course completion documents must be submitted to TREC after applying online or with your paper application.

Meet the Experience Requirements

Candidates for a broker license must also meet the following experience requirements:

  • Have at least four years’ active experience as a licensed real estate sales agent or broker during the 60-month period preceding the filing of the application
  • Your experience must total 3600 points and be reported on the Qualifying Experience Report for a Broker License. You must also include a transaction identification list for each transaction claimed on the experience report.

File your Application

             Apply Online

Submit your application and fee to become a Broker using our Online Services. If you don’t already have a username and password for our Online Services, register now.  If you have registered online with TALCB or TREC in the past, log in now.

             Apply by Mail

If you prefer, you can also apply for a broker license using our paper application. This may take longer to process and you will need to pay a paper filing fee.

Get your Fingerprints Taken and Pass Your Background Check

You are required by law to have fingerprints on file with the Texas Department of Public Safety (DPS) so a background check can be performed. Fingerprints on file for other agencies will not be accepted.

A license will not issue if the background check has not been passed. Expect a delay if you are notified of an investigation into your background history.

Take the Exam

License exams are administered by PearsonVUE, a testing service company.

(broker requirements above supplied from the TREC site)

If you’re not receiving aerial videos, aerial photos, interactive maps and basic digital technology used in todays ranch marketing you may need to consider a different broker. Give Longhorn Realty a call: 512-289-2121

Sample Aerial Video

Sample Interactive Mapping

Does your Agent own a Ranch or have they ever used a Farm & Ranch contract ?

Would you feel comfortable buying or selling a home with an agent who has never owned a home or has never written any kind of residential contract? Why would you choose an agent or broker who has never owned a ranch, maybe never even set foot on a ranch, or worse yet, never used a Farm & Ranch contract? Selling ranches is a complex process and working with someone who understands how things work on a farm or ranch is highly beneficial and understanding Farm & Ranch contract docs is a must.

Sell my Land! Sell my Ranch!

Sell your Land or Ranch with Longhorn Realty

Don Honeycutt is a Texas Licensed Real Estate Broker. A Texas Real Estate Broker is who every Texas Real Estate Sales Agent must be sponsored by. All Texas real estate brokerages must have a designated broker.  As a Texas Broker at his own brokerage, Don calls all his own shots and makes his own deals through his brokerage, Longhorn Realty, LLC. Don does not report to anyone or ask someone else for permission to make deals happen. There’s nothing better than dealing with the decision maker, who happens to be an experienced land professional, regarding selling your land or ranch.

When selling your Texas land or ranch, your best bet is to use only a licensed professional who specializes in Texas land and ranches.

Seller Information Form

*Your information will never be shared with any third party.

Similar Posts